Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Milan!

Made it to Italy!  Last country of the trip (aside from my one night in Madrid).  Kind of sad about that…but I’m actually not totally devastated to be going home soon.  I have a lot to look forward to when I get back which helps.  This was the perfect use of my time between the end of the semester and work, and even though my credit card may soon be maxed out (not that it has a high limit to begin with) I’m having a wonderful time and it’s totally worth it.

MILAN.  Beautiful place.  Got in around 9 and met Elisa, my cousin’s cousin on the other side of his family, and her roommate/another cousin Margerita.  I dropped my things off at their apartment and then we went out to explore Milan.  Got to see lots of great things…the Duomo in particular was an amazing site both inside and out.  

Duomo of Milan

Also got to see a castle, which I had no idea existed in Milan but apparently it does.  It’s a collection of museums housed in this really old building (castle) that apparently Victoria Beckham said she wishes she could live in.  I mean, I didn’t think it was Victoria Beckham standards but it sure was wonderful.

Castle/Museums

They treated me to lunch of…pizza!  My first Italian pizza….got a pizza with shrimp and asparagus.  It was DELICIOUS and I wish I took a picture of it to show you since it was bigger than two of my faces combined, but I forgot to.  It looked too good to wait to eat.  Walked off the pizza in a a beautiful park before heading back to the apartment to rest.

Beautiful park!

After about 2 hours (it started to rain and we didn’t leave, so I read for a while) we headed out to this really great bar-type place.  Stopped at their friend Francesca’s apartment on the way, and she has family in the U.S. and speaks great English which was wonderful (Although Elisa and Margerita did speak great English too!  It’s a shame that people in the U.S. don’t take their foreign language requirements seriously).

Went to this bar type place where you pay for your drink but then get unlimimted food from this buffet…breadsticks, pastas, pizzas, fries, rice, ham, the list goes on and on.  It’s apparently something unique to Milan…you pay for the drink which isn’t necessarily cheap (8-10€) but when you think about it you’re getting a dinner with it so it’s not a bad deal at all.  FUN!

My Italian hosts for the night, Elisa and Margerita!

Milan was great.  Had a blast.  Now I'm in Udine with my aunt and cousin having a wonderful time....leaving in the morning though!  Will update about Udine and the places I saw here shortly...peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment