Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Castles, Beer, and Meat Sweats...MÜNCHEN


In Berlin after a jam packed three days in Munich.  Barcelona is still my favorite city that I’ve been to, but Munich has by far been the best experience.  Traveling alone to most places has been great, but if there was any place to meet up with people, it was in Munich!  So I’m glad that I was able to chill with Gab and Mary for three days.

Got in on Saturday and basically just explored Munich on foot.  Ended up seeing all of the landmarks on the map in a few hours which was great.  It’s not a huge city so it’s fairly easy to get around to places.  Caught the Glockenspiel right as it was going off which was great…it’s a part of the town hall (I believe) at certain parts of the day it does a “show” and moves and stuff…it tells some sort of story about a king and this Bavarian knight that kills the other night, and then something about this dance that occurs every 7 years in Munich.  It was COOL!

Marienplatz/Glockenspiel

Went to bed early since it was so nice to be in a bed and not a chair at the airport.  Met Gab and Mary at the train station the next day which was WONDERFUL.  Spent the afternoon in a big plaza/biergarten, had some beers, talked about our trips, and explored the city again with then, but again went to bed early because CASTLE DAY was the next day!

Me, Gab, and Mary at the castles!

Headed out to Neuschwanstein Castle on Monday…only what Gab and I have been obnoxiously talking about all semester.  It was one of the most beautiful places on earth, I think.  Even more beautiful than the view from the mountains in Barcelona.  Got a train and then a bus to the foot of the castle and walked up the hill with tons of horse crap to get there…but I guess that’s the experience.  And I wasn’t about to ride the bus to the top.  Got a tour of the castle which was fantastic, even snuck some pictures (sorry I’m not sorry).  The pictures of/inside the castle and the scenery around it really don’t do it justice…go to Germany and go see this place.

New desktop background...BEAUTIFUL

Got back from the castles and went to the HOFBRAUHAUS.  What I was most excited to do in Munich…it’s a big famous beer hall.  We each got our liters of beer (I later got another liter…again, sorry I’m not sorry) and got some pork knuckle  which was so wonderful, and I’m not even a huge fan of pork.  It just looked good…and it was.  GAVE US THE MEAT SWEATS.  My meal:

Dinner: Liter of beer (and another one later on) and pork knuckle.  Delicious.

Tuesday we headed to to the Dachau concentration camp which is right outside of Munich…just something we thought we should see while in Germany.  It was free to go to and they had so much information which made it especially great that it was free, although we did tag along with a private tour for some of the trip.  It was such an unbelievable sight to see and think of all the people who were there not very long ago at all.  But if you’re ever in Munich, it’s a really really enlightening place to go to…check it out.

Barracks at Dachau

We were going to spend the night at another biergarten but it started to rain, and we had to seek shelter at this restaurant which ended up serving MEXICAN food, which we had talked about craving the day before.  GREAT COINCIDENCE.  Got the most amazing quesadilla of my life, delicious sangria, and delicious beer.  Great find, and great shelter from the rain.  Mexican food: the best way to end your time in Munich.

Now I’m in Berlin.  Gab and Mary didn’t like it at all, and I’m afraid that them not liking it is going to give me the attitude that I won’t like it even if it’s not at all bad.  So we’ll see how it goes.  Only 16 more days in Europe!  One more in Berlin, one more in Madrid the night before I go home, and the rest in beautiful Italy!  I’m rearranging my itinerary a little bit so that I can chill with Gab and Mary a ltitle more.  It’s going to be such a great place, cannot wait.
For now, auf wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment