Sunday, June 12, 2011

Florence & Pisa!

Spent Wednesday 6/8 until this morning in TUSCANY.  Was in Florence for two days and went to Pisa around 2 PM on the third day and spent the night.

It was an amazing three days.  Didn't start off so amazing though.  Left my comfy bed and cooked meals in Udine around 10 AM, expecting to get to Florence around 2.  Made the connection in Venice from the regional train to the fast train, and 20 minutes into our journey the train stops outside the Pauda station...because it hit a guy.  Looked it up the next day and apparently it was a 60 year old college professor from Padua who wanted to kill himself.  Lovely.  Delayed us for 2 hours and we had to switch to another train.  Thank god I had a goodie bag of sandwiches and snacks from Aunt Catherine to nourish me during the delay.  But once we finally made it to Florence around 4...you probably guessed it, there were monsoon force winds and rain.  I can't escape it.  Sat in the cafeteria with my beer and potato chips and waited it out, and then headed to the hostel.  It was a nice little place, glad I switched from my original one...I would have paid double.  Wasn't feeling spending all the money so I switched it and was happy with the decision.  Then I went to explore!

Duomo!

The leather markets ended up being right by my hostel and I had to pass through to get to the center of town, so I did some window shopping.  I knew that I had to buy SOMETHING leather from Florence, since it’s famous for it.  But I didn’t really have room (or the money, for that matter) for a leather jacket or even a bag, so I just browsed.  They have lots of other things there too…shirts/clothes, shoes, purses, jewelry, souvenirs, glasses, food…very wonderful.

Came out at the other end and was in front of the DUOMO.  It was funny because at the end of the first street of the leather market there’s another church with a somewhat big dome, and at first I was like oh, that’s it…it’s not very big.  Then I turned the corner and saw THE duomo.  Took way too many pictures of it and walked around it in amazement.  It was so pretty!  It was closed by that point so I’d have to wait to go in, but I got gelato and just sat out there, it was soooo nice.

Continued my walking tour of the city and ended up at Palazzo Vecchio, which is, as it sounds, an old palace.  Outside is a little courtyard and there are a bunch of statues, including a replica of the David (the real one being on display not far away at the Galleria dell’Academia (However, being as there are several museums in Florence, I imagined that the REAL david was inside the Palazzio, which looking back was a dumb mistake, and I went in the next day thinking I'd find the David.  I did not.  But I guess the Palazzio was worth it).  Headed around to the Ponte Vecchio (below) and listened to the people playing music as the sun was beginning to set which was sooooo nice (starting to fall in love with this place!).

Ponte Vecchio

Saw from across the river the overlook where they say you get an amazing view of the city, so I walked across and found my way to the top.  They've got a few churches up there and then the overlook where most people congregate, take pictures, drink beer and wine, and have a good time.  What a beautiful place.  It's stunning.  Here's me awkwardly posing with beautiful Florence in the background!

Loving Firenze!

Woke up early the next morning and went to where I thought the David was--Palazzo Vecchio.  Which made no sense because I knew it was at a gallery.  They tricked me with the statue being in front of the entry to the Palazzo.  But whatevz, walked around in there for like an hour, it was really cool.  Old.  And not terribly expensive so I don't feel as if I wasted my money.  Headed back to the Duomo after to go inside.  Waited online for like 30 minutes amidst a Portuguese tour group that kept trying to get in front of me...stay with your damn group.  Uggggggh!  Went inside and it was of course beautiful.  I was expecting it to be a little more elaborate, just because it's so elaborate looking on the outside and inside (aside from the painting on the dome itself) was very simple.

The dome!

Then climbed to the top.  What a feat that was.  So many steps in a cramped space.  It was an experience.  For about 1/4 of the way the people going up and down overlap, so it was really difficult to coordinate who went when.  But the view from the top was worth the effort getting up!  LOOK:

What a view!

Then went to the ACTUAL museum with the David.  Made a reservation since the line was so long for regular tickets, and had to come back in an hour.  Explored and looked for lunch and found delicious looking pizza: sold.  Pizza and beer, what could be better.

Maybe this.  Was walking back to the museum and sort of got lost along the way.  So I made my way toward the duomo since everything is easy to find from the duomo.  Well, I walked past this guy who I thought looked familiar, and then I saw a cameraman on the other side of me.  When I turned around, it turned out that it was Pauly D and Vinny from Jersey Shore.  What the faaaack?!  Didn’t think I’d ACTUALLY run into any of those idiots while we were both in Florence at the same time, but I did.  I feel like I have to watch this season now, both because I was in Florence and loved it and want to see it again, and because (doubtfully) maybe I’ll be in a background shot, and that would be really hilarious. 

Went into the Galleria dell’Academia and meandered through all of the lovely art, most of which I never take the time to read the plaques about, until I made it to the big hall where David was in all his glory.  Pictures really don’t do this thing justice.  First of all, it’s MASSIVE.  The detail is amazing.  And it’s so old.  And Michelangelo did it!  It’s much more impressive than the Mona Lisa.  One of the coolest things I’ve gotten to see on my trip.  AND I SNUCK A PICTURE!

David, in all his glory.



Sat and read in a park for the rest of the evening and went to bed early.  My ipod completely died (as is my phone…a sign from above to get an iPhone?!) and I had no sense of time, so it was better to be in bed early.  Early being around 10.

Headed back to the leather markets in the morning before I got on a train to Pisa.  Bought a new WALLET which was actually a really great thing to buy.  It looks, feels, and smells amazing.  Also bought a WATCH so that I would now know the time, and because I’ve been wanting one.  Total for both: 20 euros.  I can dig it.  I’ve stopped thinking of anything in dollars, it’s easier to think of 20 euros as a deal for both things because here it would be, not think in terms of it being 32 dollars for both.  Either way, I was happy with the purchases especially considering I hadn’t purchased any souvenirs for myself except the I heart Madrid sweatshirt (which was so dirty and smelly, as well as unnecessary for the remainder of my trip, resulting in me abandoning it at my hostel in Munich).

Leather markets!  Smell so good

Hopped on the train to Pisa…no trouble with this train and made it there in an hour.  Read my book in a park until I could check into my hostel…the leaning tower was too far to walk to and from with my backpack.  Finished the second book in the Millennium Series, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and found The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo at a bookstore in Florence.  The books kind of stand alone…same characters but different stories.  So it wasn’t too terrible that I read the second one first, but there were a few things mentioned to in the second book that refer to things form the first book.  Ended up reading 3/5 of it between waiting for my hostel and hanging out by the leaning tower, it’s SO GOOD.  What a good reading day.  I don’t understand people who don’t like to read.

Also got to experience FOOD FROM A VENDING MACHINE.  I've heard about these...they dispense hot food.  Found them and figured why not try since it's so cheap.  I got some sort of pasta.  It was actually really good.  You put the money in and pick what you want, it heats it up, and then slides it right out for you!  Check out this machine:

Perfect for a backpacker's budget.

Checked in and headed to the tower!  It was pretty much exactly how I imagined it would be.  The grass was so green!  It was wonderful.  I got a ticket and had to wait an hour for my time, so I got pizza and sat on the grass and read…far away from all the annoying people who were taking there “Look I’m pushing up against (or being toppled by) the leaning tower!” picture.  Sorry if you’ve ever done that, they look cool, but everyone and their mother was posing and I couldn’t look at them.  Then it was my turn to go up.  If you ever want to feel drunk without actually drinking, the staircase in the leaning tower is where you belong.  It’s weird because you fall to whichever wall the slant is.  So you wobble from holding against the outer wall to holding against the inner wall based on if you’re going up the incline or down the incline.  It was actually really scary!  Made it to the top which was cool, got to see the bells.  Held onto the railing for dear life.  It was expensive, but I figured it was just one of those experiences that was too cool to be cheap about.  Probably won’t ever do it again, but was worth it to do it once!

SCARY!

Bought myself another souvenir…they had liquor in glass leaning tower bottles.  They were really cool!  I really just wanted the glass.  Got a tiny little one that maybe had two shots of blue vodka in it.  Would have just saved it but it’s more than 3 ounces so can’t bring it on the plane.  Oops.

Bed early again, had to catch a train back to Florence for my train to Naples.  Most people say there really isn’t much to do in Pisa, which for the most part is true.  But the book made it wonderful…not having a lot to see there let me relax and read.  Worth the night there instead of doing it as a day trip.

I miss Tuscany already </3

Naples update next, that’ll be an interesting one…….stay tuned!




1 comment:

  1. Hi - what was the name of the hostel you stayed in in Florence? I'm going in a few weeks and having a tough time finding one with decent reviews. Thanks!

    Email me if you don't mind: lcampbell2@zagmail.gonzaga.edu

    ReplyDelete